The 2018 Community Art Project
Visit Wautopia throughout the week for fantastic events, ranging from music to art, to fitness, yoga, writing, drumming, and more…
Visit Wautopia on Saturday, August 18, for a great lineup of music and theatrical happenings!
The Waupaca Community Arts Board has planned a spectacular participatory art project, located on Sessions Street. Designed by resident artist Susan Reniewicki, this project, called Wautopia, has been created by over 18 groups in the Waupaca area, and was constructed by many volunteers on the Waupaca Community Arts Board Wautopia Construction Crew. In May of 2018, 18 “pod kits” were created by the construction crew, under the direction of Steve Laedtke. They were then delivered, assembled and painted by area groups. The pods were then returned and assembled on Sessions Street, creating the nearly 3 story sculpture named Wautopia.
The Wautopia project envisions what our community can be if we all work together. In Wautopia, we nurture relationships, build on each others’ strengths and work together, even when it seems impossible!
Wautopia participants assembled, painted and creatively managed their pods. The participants include:
– Waupaca Rotary
– Winchester Academy
– Badger’s Den Brewclub and 22 Lakes Brewery
– Office Outfitters/WCAB
– Waupaca Lion’s Club
– The City of Waupaca
– The ToTo Foundation
– Waupaca Danes Hall
– Waupaca King and IN Between
– Living the Waupaca Way/Waupaca Farmer’s Market
– Waupaca Recreation Center
– Waupaca Area Chamber of Commerce/Convention and Visitor’s Bureau
– Friends of Hartman’s Creek
– Farmers State Bank
– Waupaca High School Art Club
– Waupaca Secret Service Club
– Wisconsin Veteran’s Home
(Artist Susan Reniewicki and WCAB's designer Steve Laedtke)
Wautopia is a series of 18 individualized large and small pods, made of wooden elements, that, once assembled, represent our community.
- The pods were made by the members of our community.
- Once created, the pods were collected and assembled
- The collaborative structure will be located on Sessions Street throughout the ARTicipation Week, the Friday Night Street Dance and the 12th annual Arts on the Square.
The core concept of Wautopia is the beauty of our interconnectedness. Through relationships, we build a stronger community: This is Wautopia!
“In Community, we strive, we thrive, we grow strong, we belong” (Patricia Reckrey, poet)
All completed pods will be assembled on Saturday, August 11, by a crew of experienced carpenters and artists. Each individual pod will be part of the magnificent community sculpture! We invite everyone to be part of our Wautopia community!
(Artist Susan Reniewicki)